Tuesday 5th November 2019

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 5th November 2019

Post by Flyco » 06 Nov 2019, 12:10

A-10C Debrief

A little slow getting airborne, and the artillery were in action by the time we reached the valley. It took us over 30 minutes to eliminate all the artillery, during which time they hit German Leopard tanks at least 15 times - not very good. Thereafter, we slowly ground down the column, and I only saw one A-10 hit by Tunguskas, and that was at 21,000 ft - their limit today seemed about 24-25,000 ft. Initially, there did seem to be a lot of A-10s circling the area, and it took us some time to get stuck in. Again the difficulty in identifying target location came to the fore - with different flights using different routes there was no commonality of WP number. Hence the need to refer to the common 'Gap East' and 'Gap West' names. The alternative, of course, is to use a common Bulls-Eye.

On the down side. we also killed at least one German Gepard! I don't know about the rest of you, but my TGP was terrible - unusable in FLIR and very poor contrast in TV. Partly as a consequence of this, I certainly found the Mavericks very difficult to use effectively - I only fired 3 and got only 2 hits. On the other hand I got hits with all 3 of my LGBs. However, on balance, the ability to carry 4 Mavs as opposed to 2 additional LGBs is probably a plus. It is also good not to have targets that stand out like D*g's B*lls, and the twisting road and overhanging vegetation certainly made it quite hard work.

Worth mentioning the CBU-105. It is very accurate to the burst point and has a reasonable spread, and unlike the CBU-97 is not greatly affected by wind, unless it is very strong at low-level. I generally set my burst height to 1200 ft, but I know some prefer 900 ft - I suspect there is not a lot in it, but the default is certainly usually too high. You also need to select an aim point that will catch the maximum number - if targets are scattered, aiming for the centre may well not score any hits. I was very lucky to take out 4 with a single bomb.

It was a shame about the OCU getting lost. So far as I could see the Kutaisi SAM and the FARP got some good attention, although it did not cut off the AHs totally.

I am not in favour of the routine use of flares to identify friendlies. I was out of them by the time I had finished, but since the Migs were kept at bay, I won't moan too much.

If anyone has any other points to make, please let Matt or me know. I imagine we will be suing that mission again, perhaps with the OCU!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers » 06 Nov 2019, 14:03

Personally I had a somewhat iffy night.

Had issues with locking targets, but that was just me being stupid as I have since sorted it.

One thing I have noticed though since the many updates DCS has had is that they must now be able to get more trees to show on low settings. Due to my 'Fred Flintstone' era system I can only use low settings and have trees and grass at almost zero, but last night there were so many bloody trees that I had trouble tracking the targets. How you guys that run High settings get on I don't know.

In an effort to try to slow the convoy down I took out a bridge which sort of worked as it made them all bunch up a bit and Hog were able to set up our run in a bit easier.

Generally I had fun and got back home before running out of juice.
Air Commodore Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco » 06 Nov 2019, 15:07

I think that the trees exist for all settings. It’s simply that they appear later and have less detail for lower powered systems. I am also getting forgetful of what the various buttons do - I have a cheat card pinned up by my monitor.

A good night though.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

fly_george

Post by fly_george » 06 Nov 2019, 16:54

Griffin wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 06:40
fly_george wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 23:27
i loved the harrier flying, i saw 3 sams rush past my head
Did ya not stop them and ask where they were going in such a rush ?
hahaha i didnt because i heard that didnt end well for the f18 cap flight
'paddles contact'

Return to “Squadron Flights”