Tuesday 8th October 2019

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Ian Robson

Re: Tuesday 8th October 2019

Post by Ian Robson » 08 Oct 2019, 20:59

Really disappointed I missed this, especially with an AV8B slot available. Hope it went well, and I'm looking forward to next Tuesday.
Pilot Officer Ian Robson - RAF Air UK

Russ Kent

Post by Russ Kent » 08 Oct 2019, 21:07

Third time luck next time. I was looking forward to tonight too. SRS update failed and by the time i realised, mission was well and truely under way. Teach me for not checking before. Appologies pig flight:x
Student Pilot Russ Kent - RAF Air UK

Bonver12

Post by Bonver12 » 08 Oct 2019, 21:43

Matt, thanks for your major contribution and endeavours tonight. A challenging and enjoyable mission.
Pilot Officer Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Merlin

Post by Merlin » 08 Oct 2019, 22:05

Many thanks for running the mission Matt.

Found it a struggle dealing with Lat/Longs with the F18. You can't slave the TGP to a set of coords so you have to set a waypoint, slew the TGP to it and then try and ID the target - not always easy.

That said, I enjoyed the challenge and also enjoyed chasing down both some Hinds and SU27's.
Pilot Officer James "Merlin" Herbert - RAF AIR UK

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » 09 Oct 2019, 04:16

uzi had a bad night, we took out the su25 np i ended up stalking a mig29 and despite being within 10 miles he never appeared on radar, he shot me in the face in the end :oops: . incredibly frustrating considering he was right in front of me for well over a minute and at slightly higher alt, nothing!
Pilot Officer John Burton RAF Air UK
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco » 09 Oct 2019, 08:24

A very enjoyable night. I even got a kill or two.

However, it is clear that the A-10’ers need to get in some mandatory R/T procedure training. Hence, all leave is cancelled for this weekend and we will sit in the classroom practicing radio procedure.

On a more serious level, there is a lot of improvement needed. I will try and get some succinct procedures published, and some standard radio allocation agreed.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Griffin

Post by Griffin » 09 Oct 2019, 09:03

Gaspode wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 04:16
uzi had a bad night, we took out the su25 np i ended up stalking a mig29 and despite being within 10 miles he never appeared on radar, he shot me in the face in the end :oops: . incredibly frustrating considering he was right in front of me for well over a minute and at slightly higher alt, nothing!

Same thing happened to myself after your death old boy,they were low in the mountains again and invisible to rader and the mk 1 eyeball. firstthing i knew they were there is when i got hit
Pilot Officer Richard "Mutley" Keast RAF AIR UK
Image Image Image

Mutley Do Something!

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » 09 Oct 2019, 17:06

Griffin wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 09:03
Gaspode wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 04:16

Same thing happened to myself after your death old boy,they were low in the mountains again and invisible to rader and the mk 1 eyeball. firstthing i knew they were there is when i got hit
thats exactly why i went low mutley, he was ABOVE me in open sky and less than 10 degrees off my nose for a prolonged period, i also tried several pilot modes plus stt lock, nada!! i shouldve tried to use the sidewinder seeker as a poor mans irst but it never occured to me :oops: .
i also panicked and made plenty of mistakes after he shot at me, for a start i tried to notch what turned out to be an ir missile from less than 10 miles. bloody idiot!! i shouldve flicked acm mode on pointed my nose at the missile and loosed a phoenix, that would probably have got the 29!.
i also shouldve tried evading a head on ir missile although ive never tried it apparantly you kill throttle and barell roll while dumping flares, again i never thought of any of that!!! i only had a few seconds but christ i shouldve been more on it than that!
Pilot Officer John Burton RAF Air UK
Image Image

maggsy

Post by maggsy » 09 Oct 2019, 22:21

Flyco wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 08:24
A very enjoyable night. I even got a kill or two.

However, it is clear that the A-10’ers need to get in some mandatory R/T procedure training. Hence, all leave is cancelled for this weekend and we will sit in the classroom practicing radio procedure.

On a more serious level, there is a lot of improvement needed. I will try and get some succinct procedures published, and some standard radio allocation agreed.
I think this would be a very good idea, I know my RT is poor ..no lets face it my RT is abysmal, some parts are correct but it is underpinned with...yup gibberish ...I lack confidence due to a lack of knowledge so any help in getting this up to speed would be a benefit to us all.

I know much of what I am about to say we should do, however mission eagerness and trying not to have long preflight delays mean we cut corners and worst of all..... we assume.
We do need to sort out the way we use the frequencies, certainly in the A10 we have 3 fully workable radios, I feel we seem to focus as much on comms with ATC as we do each other both on a flight level and broader in mission group levels , this is really not really required for anyone other than the Lead aircraft in each group, as long as Hog/Boar Lead obtains the required clearance we can then simply listen to our Lead and follow his instructions.
As part of the pre flight brief would it not be best for Hog Flight to move to a TS channel for that group alone so as we bring our radios online we can test the Common, Group and Flight frequencies without unnecessary use of any common TS or in game radio frequencies
Can we have a rigid Frequency for Hog and Boar respectively Departure Airfield ATC Freq +.100 for Boar and +.200 for Hog and this never changes, we all know where we depart from and whether we are in Hog or Boar, KISS "keep it simple stupid" , again much if not all of this is in our SOP but we are not always following it, we do this with SADL 97 is our group and either 11 12 13 14 or 21 22 23 24 the individual a/c ID.

Can I congratulate Matt on a really wonderful and interesting Mission, I was so eager to be part of it I totally screwed up my own flight, my only hope was it did not spoil anyone elses. If I can make an observation when a mission is based upon a predetermined Package adding adhoc units only un-balances the plan, here lies the dilemma do we post the mission Battle Order and fill the slots and disappoint some eager members who could not be sure they could attend ahead of the event ( Real Life can make this a reality) or do we tack on more and more units as the demand arises ?
Maybe having a secondary mission that the "Reserve Group" could undertake ? I am not even sure this is possible or feasible but with a departure time 30+ min after the main strike group and with targets that will not unwittingly trigger anything associated with the Primary Objective, and with the careful use of the descrete comms all or some of the reserve group could be seconded into the main force as the need arises .
Maybe a enemy troop column and or enemy air assets triggered to approach home plate only if the reserve group is activated ? this might be too complex or not worth the effort required.

I have re-read my observations and realise I had not added enough appreciation for all the hard work put into making these missions for us. it is too easy to point out what could have been better and in my case from a position of total ignorant bliss. The mission on tuesday was a masterpiece of layered planning with complex triggers and event sequencing, whilst I appreciate Matt has the ultimate knowledge to draw upon it still required him to spend his precious time to plan and create the mission and for that I am most grateful.
I also meant to apologise to Matt for my PPP (piss poor performance), it certainly did not match the quality of the mission he created, I loved the Jeopardy from Matt " I only have 1 Tank if it dies that's it" .. and the fact he was willing to forgo his flying to act as the JTAC was a generous act, I hope he does many more for us and I can up my game to match the quality on offer .

I did learn one thing from Paul regarding SRS if it stops responding correctly try restarting SRS it might reconnect lost comms.
Last edited by maggsy on 10 Oct 2019, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot Officer Steve Maggs - RAFAir UK

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » 10 Oct 2019, 06:45

So reference R/T I couldn't help but agree, however my example is very much based around the 133.100mhz channel, the only people talking on that frequency should be aircraft conducting a strike or myself, hence why I gave the abrupt "minimise the inflight chatter on these means" as it's hard enough giving a strike to multiple aircraft but it is only made harder when your comms get stepped on my a wingman telling his flight lead that he will orbit at 20000ft.....not very useful for my troops in contact at the time.

As per adding additional units its a bit of a hard thing, as trying to add additional units that late in the day would only result in a mission bug, sadly I did not get home early enough from work to be able to do anything but add additional aircraft for players, there are actually two separate mission already built in to this mission however I use one for the OCU flight, but any time they are not flying I can actually utilize it for normal proceedings.
Wing Commander Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”